Read also: Asian airlines turn to ‘flights to nowhere’ to get travellers back in the skiesThe aviation industry has taken major financial blows as governments around the globe have imposed travel restrictions and bans to control the spread of COVID-19.In a bid to devise an alternative revenue stream amid the coronavirus-induced economic downturn, a number of airlines in the Asia-Pacific region plan to start flights to nowhere.Singapore Airlines, for instance, is due to offer no-destination flights starting in late October, as reported by The Straits Times. The flights will depart from and land at Changi Airport.A no-destination flight recently offered by Australia’s Qantas Airways sold out within 10 minutes, according to the airline, reflecting a public urge to fly to temporarily escape the pressure of the health crisis. (rfa) Topics : Soekarno-Hatta International Airport is set to accommodate no-destination flights as many airlines seek to recoup some of the major losses suffered as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.Soekarno-Hatta executive general manager Agus Haryadi said the airport would be ready to facilitate airlines that planned to offer “flights to nowhere”.“We will certainly support [the initiative]. At the very least, this program can inspire the public to fly again,” Agus said on Monday as quoted by kompas.com. However, as of the time of writing, no airlines operating from the airport were offering no-destination flights, he added.A no-destination flight – the type of flight that departs from and arrives at the point of origin – is not a novel concept in the aviation industry, according to him. The program is typically reserved for non-commercial purposes, such as test flights for new types of aircraft, he said.Agus added that the notion of flying for the sake of it was expected to appeal to those who missed the flying experience following months of stringent travel restrictions.“I think flying with no specific destination during the pandemic is a good idea to warm up the plane engine,” he said.
Stuff co.nz 23 May 2015“Whatever you write about me, please, don’t say, Marco was born a boy and now he’s a girl. I was always a girl, it just took some time to share it with the world”.We’re sitting around the kitchen table of a family’s home, mum and dad and two daughters, a shaggy dog in the background. The rest of the family is listening quietly as Marco, now 21, explains how, even though she had been raised a boy, she had always identified as a girl, and how she slowly shared it with the rest of the world.“When I was little, maybe five or six, something felt off, different. I couldn’t find the words to describe it. I didn’t really understand it. It didn’t really bother me but I really enjoyed doing things that boys typically weren’t meant to do. I wanted to look the way some of the girls did.”Marco first heard the word transgender at the age of about nine, but it wasn’t anything to feel good about. The transgender people she first saw were bizarre fiends on TV crime shows or distressed people yelling at their relatives on tabloid-style day time TV.“I was really seeing a very warped, exaggerated, kind of horrible version of what it means to be transgender. I went into this massive identity crisis and denial. For the next few years it was a cycle of denial, then eventually I’d acknowledge it and take a step slightly out of the closet, but that would be too much, just horrible, and I’d go running back. I felt very alone.”Despite a close, loving family, life was bleak and confusing for Marco for some time, until a lesbian friend at high school suggested coming along to a support group for same-sex attracted and gender diverse young people.http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/68797129/Born-a-boy-feeling-like-a-girl-the-journey-of-a-transgender-child
BACOLOD City – The Negros Occidental provincial government is requiringall travelers arriving from Metro Manila to undergo a 14-day home quarantineupon their arrival in the province. These passengers will be considered aspersons under monitoring (PUMs) as stated in Executive Order No. 20-13 issuedby Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson, adopting unified protocols on the border andintra-province control for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The PHO will also identify a holdingquarantine area for patients of COVID-19, in conjunction with the ProvincialHospital Operations Department. (WithPNA/PN) Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson In EO No. 20-13, Lacson added that allprotocols for patient management will be disseminated by PHO, which will alsoestablish a COVID-19 hotline manned by competent medical personnel. Lacson issued the order establishingthe unified protocols after a discussion with the PHO personnel and provincialofficials during the Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases meeting atthe Capitol Social Hall. “We have to be responsible Negrenses.If we are not, it may be that your relative will get sick of Covid-19. That isprecisely what we’re trying to avoid, that COVID-19 will come in here,”the governor said in an earlier interview. As of Friday, Negros Occidental has 64PUMs from the initial 133, after 69 of them already completed the 14-dayself-quarantine and cleared of possible infection. “While this is voluntary, I hope(we will) all be responsible and make this small sacrifice. The net effect ofthis, if COVID-19 will come in, then we will have a bigger problem,” thegovernor added. In the order, Lacson said the homequarantine will be supervised by the Provincial Health Office (PHO) incoordination with the component city or municipal health office where the PUMresides.
Raymond Richard Baer, 86, of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Wednesday, October 25, 2017 in Aurora, Indiana.He was born May 5, 1931 in Aurora, IN, son of the late Raymond and Minnie Baer.He served his country during the Korean Conflict as a member of the United States Navy. Dutch was very proud of his military service. He was a member of the Aurora VFW and Legion.Dutch was a 1949 graduate of Aurora High School and was an owner, operator and meat cutter for Aurora Parkview Grocery, formely Lachenmann Grocery. He and his wife Jackie went to Florida for the winters for 20 years. In the early years he enjoyed boating and camping. Dutch collected hats, enjoyed his MG car and liked to grill out. He helped with any task for friends and neighbors.Surviving are children, Linda (James) Lawburgh of Lake Charles, LA, Doug (Ellen) Baer of Aurora, IN, Lisa (Richard Waller) Baer of Aurora, IN; siblings, Rosemary Kurita of Oakland, CA, James (Janet) Baer of Guilford, IN, Victor (Aileen) Baer of Aurora, IN; grandchildrens, Rick & Rob Jackson, Kristen & Derek Baer; great-grandchildren, Kyle, Kanen & Morgan Jackson.He was preceded in death by his parents, his loving wife, Jacquelyn Baer, and brothers, Robert & Allen “Ted” Baer.Friends will be received Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm at the Rullman Hunger Funeral Home, 219 Mechanic Street, Aurora, Indiana.Services will be held at the Funeral Home, at 5:30 pm with Bill Waller officiating.Contributions may be made to the Aurora Life Squad. If unable to attend services, please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
Rory McIlroy has not won all season, has gone from world number one to sixth in the rankings and is 62nd on a European Tour money list which he won last year to go with the US equivalent and five victories, including a second major title. “If I don’t play good enough here, then there’s a good chance I won’t play in Dubai. I think there’s a bigger chance of me winning this tournament than not playing in Dubai, I feel.” With next week’s Turkish Airlines Open currently not on his schedule, McIlroy needs to climb into the top 60 on the Race to Dubai this week to have a chance of qualifying for the DP World Tour Championship in November. The 24-year-old is less than 4,000 euros (£3,400) behind Garth Mulroy in 60th place, but by not playing in Turkey will need to win much more than that to feel safe. The first prize of just over 1million euros (£856,000) would of course take care of everything and the two-time major winner can take confidence from his one-shot victory over Tiger Woods in their 18-hole exhibition match at Mission Hills on Monday. “I’m looking forward to going out there and playing well,” added McIlroy, who has been backed by Woods to get back to winning ways before the end of the season. “I feel like I’m capable of winning this golf tournament and I feel like my game’s coming together nicely. “I did a little short game work over the last couple days and I feel like if I can get that part of my game where it needs to be, then I’ve got a good chance. “I’m really glad that this tournament is back here at Sheshan,” he added. “It’s a golf course that I’ve done well on, as you’ve said, and it’s a golf course that I really like. It’s one of my favourite venues of the year quite honestly. “Of course I expect myself to be a lot higher than that (62nd). I won the Race to Dubai last year and I was second in 2011 and I was second in 2009. So I’ve been a factor in it for the last few years and to be down where I am obviously doesn’t feel too good and is a reflection of how my year has gone. “It’s just the reality and the reality is I haven’t played well enough to be a factor.” Race to Dubai leader Henrik Stenson could only finish 34th in last week’s BMW Masters across the city in Lake Malaren, despite a closing 65, but the Swede slightly extended his lead over Graeme McDowell to 443,725 euros (£378,666) after McDowell finished in a tie for 53rd. “With the preparations leading into last week I wasn’t in the shape I wanted to be, but I finished with a good score on Sunday so I feel pretty good about my game,” said FedEx Cup winner Stenson, who has been plagued by a wrist injury. “I would be hoping to be in contention one of these last three weeks. I can’t walk around waiting for the right things to play out. I need to have some good results if I am going to finish on top and win The Race to Dubai.” US Open champion Justin Rose is just behind McDowell in the standings as he looks to finish the year as European number one for the second time, having achieved the feat in 2007. “To continue to win big events is obviously a huge goal and it would be nice to cap off a great year with a strong finish,” Rose said. “I’m excited about the opportunity to win my second Race to Dubai. It wasn’t the Race to Dubai in my era, it was obviously the Order of Merit, but to get my name on that trophy again would be a huge honour with so many great names who have done that. “Henrik is chasing down history this year in terms of winning both the FedEx Cup and the Race to Dubai. He’s a good friend of mine and I’ll certainly be pleased for him if he’s the guy to do it, but obviously I want to make it as tough as I can for him. “I think it’s going to take some great golf from me. This week is a huge opportunity to make big inroads as there is big prize money on offer. “I know I’m not necessarily defending champion, but we went to Turkey last year and I managed to win the match-play style event so hopefully it will be a nice place for me to revisit. “I’ve also got strong memories of Dubai where I finished really strong last year as Rory birdied the last five to beat me. So I feel like I’ve got good vibes going into the final three events.” Defending champion Ian Poulter is also looking to create a little piece of history this week. If the Ryder Cup star, who also won the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship in 2010, can claim his third WGC title he would become only the second player after Woods to defend a WGC title. But the bookmakers surprisingly agree with a buoyant McIlroy’s assertion that he is more likely to win the WGC-HSBC Champions event in Shanghai this week than miss out on the season finale in Dubai. “It’s a big week obviously, it’s sort of make or break,” said McIlroy, who faces a field featuring 40 of the world’s top 50 at Sheshan International Golf Club. Press Association
Settled in mid-division in the Group Two contest as Astaire blazed a trail and Sole Power was held up by Richard Hughes, Pat Smullen got a real tune out of Dermot Weld’s four-year-old when he pressed the button. Picking up Majestic Queen a furlong out after that one had taken over, he stayed on powerfully to hold the late charge of Maarek by a length. Mustajeeb marked himself out as the emerging force on the sprinting scene with victory in what looked a strong renewal of the Weatherbys Ireland Greenlands Stakes at the Curragh. The 4-1 winner was having his first try at six furlongs since his two-year-old debut, having finished third in the Irish 2,000 Guineas and won the Jersey Stakes at Royal Ascot last season. Smullen said: “He could be a very, very good sprinter this year, he has so much pace. I’ve thought for a long time he was a sprinter, he’s been showing so much pace. Back to this trip I think he’s got a proper career ahead of him this year.” Weld added: “He’s a very talented horse and won a very good renewal of the Jersey last year. He showed a lot of pace in the Breeders’ Cup and Pat said six furlongs was worth a try. “There are limited opportunities in stakes races over seven. We went a mile with him and now back to six. We decided to try it today and he’s won a Group Two, so we’ll stick to six. “The obvious race for him is the Diamond Jubilee over six at Royal Ascot and he’s also in the July Cup. He travelled last year to England and America and travels well. “It was a lovely ride by Pat. They were going very quick and it was his first time running at that pace against those horses. We purposely took him back early to get him balanced and travelling within himself. “He knew his job today. He’s a professional sprinter and those type of horses keep themselves pretty right. He beat some very good horses here today. “I just have two horses by Nayef. He is one and the other is Forgotten Rules, who is favourite for the Gold Cup!” Press Association
Free Eagle is among 11 horses left in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes at Royal Ascot on Wednesday following the confirmation stage. The four-year-old hasn’t raced since he finished third in the Qipco Champion Stakes over the course and distance in October. Dermot Weld reports the High Chaparral to be A1 again now and ready to make his return. American ace California Chrome will bid to put leading European horses to the sword in the Group One over a mile and a quarter. Last year’s Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes hero was last in action at Meydan in March when he was second to Prince Bishop in the Dubai World Cup. After running in the world’s most valuable race, the connections of the Art Sherman-trained colt shipped him over to Newmarket where he has been housed by Rae Guest ahead of this race. Kevin Ryan’s The Grey Gatsby, who was also second at Meydan behind Solow in the Dubai Turf, will try to win his first race since he lowered the colours of Australia in the Irish Champion Stakes in September. The Grey Gatsby was fourth to Al Kazeem in the Tattersalls Gold Cup at the Curragh, a race which Free Eagle had to miss because he was suffering from a head cold. There are two French-trained possibles in Ectot and Gailo Chop while Japanese challenger Spielberg and Criterion from Australia add even more global interest. John Gosden is double-handed with Eagle Top and Western Hymn while Sir Michael Stoute relies on Cannock Chase. The Corsican, trained by David Simcock, completes the list. Press Association
Rio de Janeiro, May 13: Brazil full-back Dani Alves has asked football fans not to pity him after he was ruled out of the World Cup in Russia because of injury.The 35-year-old collapsed on the pitch after feeling a sharp pain in his right knee while playing for PSG in their 2-0 French Cup final victory over Les Herbiers on Tuesday, reports Xinhua news agency.On Friday, Brazil’s medical staff said Alves would need surgery, confirming the defender’s worst fears less than a month before football’s flagship tournament begins.“Maybe my ego is a bit hurt right now, but my soul is at peace because I always tried to do my best,” Alves said in a video posted on social media on Saturday.According to Brazil team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar, Alves will need at least six months to recover from the operation to repair a detached anterior cruciate ligament.Despite PSG’s initial claim that Alves might only miss three weeks, the former Sevilla, Barcelona and Juventus star said he immediately knew the injury was more serious.“When I felt the pain in my knee, my soul went out of my body. I knew from the moment I hit the ground that I was not going to be on the plane to Russia,” he wrote in The Players’ Tribune.“In the changing room, the PSG doctors told me that we would have to wait until the next day to get the results of some tests, but I knew in my heart that it was over. I only cried one time, when I was by myself. And let me tell you something: I don’t want anybody to cry for me. I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me. I have lived my dreams.”Brazil coach Tite is expected to name a provisional World Cup squad on Monday. Alves, who has been capped 107 times for his country, had been considered a certainty for selection.Brazil’s other right-back options include Bayern Munich’s Rafinha, Manchester City’s Danilo and Corinthians’ Fagner.The five-time World Cup champions will begin their campaign in Russia against Switzerland on June 17. (IANS)
New Delhi: Former Australia batsman Damien Martyn on Tuesday shared an old photograph with veteran India wicket-keeper-batsman M.S. Dhoni. Martyn revealed he played with Dhoni during a charity match in United Kingdom and the former India captain took the team over the line, living up to his reputation as a finisher. He, however, did not mention when was the match played. “Keeping in theme with old photos dug out from the past. This was a highlight few years ago meeting and playing in the same team as the great man himself Dhoni. Charity game in the UK. He got us over the line as usual,” Damien Martyn wrote on Twitter including the hashtag ‘champion’.Also read: Yuzvendra Chahal trolls IPL franchise Mumbai Indians with hilarious replyAlso watch: Coronavirus Preventive Measures: Dr. Navanil Barua in exclusive interview with The Sentinel Digital