Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) is counting on a pool of $30 million approved by the Legislature earlier this year to prevent the loss of any of the state’s 15 installations in a future BRAC round as well as strengthen some by attracting new missions.The governor’s Texas Military Preparedness Commission meets next month to review grant applications from communities, which can collect up to $5 million each over the state’s 2016-17 fiscal biennium. Grants are capped at $2.5 million yearly.“We have so much to offer as a state in the context of national security that you can’t duplicate,” Commission Chairman Paul Paine told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The installations in Texas all have very high national security value,” said Paine, a former commander at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fort Worth.The host communities for NAS Fort Worth, a joint reserve base that grew out of the closure of Carswell Air Force Base, hope to secure $4.5 million to improve access into the facility’s east gate.“We want to be prepared if there is” another BRAC round, said Fort Worth Councilman Jungus Jordan, president of the Texas Mayors of Military Communities, the main group that persuaded state lawmakers to allocate the grant money.“We don’t have Fort in front of our name by accident. We’re a military town. We will always be a military town,” Jordan said.Leaders in the state’s other defense communities also are positioning neighboring installations for a new round of base closures. “It’s not a matter of if another BRAC will happen; it is when,” said Bob Murdock, director of San Antonio’s Office of Military Affairs.Nevertheless, the state’s installations should fare well in a future round, according to defense analyst Loren Thompson, CEO at the nonprofit Lexington Institute.“Texas doesn’t have a lot to fear from base closures,” Thompson told the Star-Telegram. “Nobody is going to close a place like Fort Hood or the Army depot in Corpus Christi.” Dan Cohen AUTHOR
NETWON, MA — Inc. Magazine announced that PR Management Corp., the leading franchisee of Panera Bread in New England, has been named to the 2018 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America. The entire list represents a unique look at the most successful companies within the American economy’s most dynamic segment–its independent small businesses. Microsoft, Dell, Pandora, Timberland, LinkedIn, Yelp, Zillow, and many other well-known names gained their first national exposure as honorees on the Inc. 5000 at one time. This is the first time PR Management Corp. has been named to the list.“We are honored to be nationally recognized for the first time by Inc. magazine,” said Mitchell Roberts, Co-founder of PR Management Corp. “This award is a true testament to our outstanding team of employees and loyal customers who visit our Panera Bread bakery-cafes across New England. Without them, this recognition would not be possible.”Complete results of the 2018 Inc. 5000, including company profiles and an interactive database that can be sorted by industry, region, and other criteria, can be found at http://www.inc.com/inc5000. PR Management is ranked at 4,043 out of 5,000 of the fastest growing companies in the America. The annual Inc. 5000 Conference and Gala honoring the companies on the list will be held Oct. 17-19, 2018, at the JW Marriott Resort & Spa in San Antonio, Texas. Event speakers include some of the best thinkers and leaders in business today.About PR Management Corp.Mitchell Roberts and David Peterman are partners in PR Management Corp. which operates 63 franchise Panera Bread locations in New Hampshire (Bedford, Concord, Derry, Dover, Keene, Manchester, Nashua, North Nashua, Portsmouth, West Lebanon, Plaistow and Seabrook), Massachusetts (Chelmsford, Framingham, Waltham, Wayland, Natick, Newton, Westborough, Marlborough, Hudson, Beverly, Swampscott, Newburyport, Lynnfield, East Longmeadow, Hadley, West Springfield, Chicopee, Pittsfield, Cambridge, Boston, Brookline, Dorchester, Plymouth, Hingham, Braintree, Pembroke, Mashpee, Milford, Brockton, Westwood, East Walpole, Raynham, Westford, Marlborough, Worcester, Shrewsbury, Webster, Millbury, Leominster, North Andover, Woburn, Lexington and Wilmington) and Maine (South Portland, Augusta, Westbrook, Biddeford, Auburn and Topsham). Charitable giving and supporting their local community are important to PR Management. Most recently, PR Management/Panera Bread gave a total of $225,000 to different food banks across New England as part of their Feeding America Initiative.(NOTE: The above press release is from PR Management Corp. via BusinessWire.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington’s Panera Bread Is Now Under New OwnershipIn “Business”BUSINESS BRIEF: Planet Fitness Named To Fortune’s 2019 100 Fastest-Growing Companies ListIn “Business”Wilmington’s UnFirst Earns Top-10 Spot On Apparel Magazine’s List of ‘America’s Leading Apparel Companies’In “Business”
Random Culture Wellness Now playing: Watch this: The jaguar (not this one) was temporarily removed from the exhibit after the incident. Martin Sachse/ullstein bild via Getty Images A woman survived a close encounter with a jaguar after trying to take a selfie with it at a Phoenix-area zoo on Saturday.The big cat apparently got its claws around the woman’s hand after she crossed a concrete barrier at the Wildlife World Zoo, Aquarium and Safari Park and stepped near the cage to take the photo, a witness and authorities told CBS News.Another visitor to the zoo in Litchfield Park, Arizona, reportedly managed to divert the jaguar’s attention by jamming a water bottle into the cage, allowing the woman to pull her hand away. Cellphone video showed her writhing in pain on the ground in the aftermath.The woman later characterized the incident as a “crazy accident” rather than an attack, but didn’t admit to crossing the barrier, CBS noted. Her injuries were reportedly stitched up and she got out of the hospital Sunday, when she also apologized to the zoo owner. When ‘doing it for the gram’ ends tragically Comments 2:09 Tags Share your voice 3 The jaguar was removed from the exhibit as the zoo investigates what happened, and officials said it won’t be put down because it wasn’t to blame.The zoo didn’t immediately respond to a request for further comment.It’s hardly the first time someone’s been attacked while trying to take a photo with an animal. A woman got too close to a Yellowstone National Park bison in 2015, and an Instagram model got bitten by a shark while swimming with it last year.
Travelweek Group Share Posted by Cruise lines scramble to deal with new Cuba restrictions Wednesday, June 5, 2019 MIAMI — U.S. cruise lines are consulting with lawyers to understand the impact of the Trump administration’s new restrictions on travel to Cuba, handed down with just one day’s notice.The Trump administration has said it will allow anyone who has already paid for their trip to go ahead with it, but the process going forward for passengers isn’t clear.A Miami-based attorney who represents Carnival and three other major cruise lines says cruise lines carrying passengers booked before June 4 have been hoping that they could request specific federal permits to complete their trips to Cuba.“For now, it’s prohibited unless the cruise lines requests a specific license,” says Pedro Freyre. He said cruise lines had been trying to determine “if there’s any opening there to at least complete trips that have been booked and passengers that have made travel plans.”Norwegian Cruise Line says it is looking at the new rules and consulting with lawyers and trade experts.More news: Sunwing to further boost Mazatlán service with new flights from Ottawa“We are closely monitoring these recent developments and any resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba,” NCL said in a statement. “We will communicate to our guests and travel partners as additional information becomes available.”CLIA also issued a statement in response to the new regulations, saying that they affect nearly 800,000 passenger bookings that are currently scheduled or already underway.“Without warning, CLIA Cruise Line Members are forced to eliminate all Cuba destinations from itineraries, effective immediately. Passenger bookings had been made under a general licence previously issued by the United States Government that authorized ‘people to people’ travel to Cuba. These travel restrictions effectively make it illegal to cruise to Cuba from the United States,” read the statement.CLIA’s Chairman, Adam Goldstein, added that the organization is “disappointed” that cruises will no longer be operating to Cuba. “While out of our control, we are genuinely sorry for all cruise line guests who were looking forward to their previously booked itineraries to Cuba.”More news: ‘Turn around year’ for TPI brings double-digit growthThe Trump administration’s new rules, announced yesterday and taking effect today, bans stops by cruise ships at Cuban ports, among other measures.Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said the measures are a response to what it calls Cuba’s “destabilizing role” in the Western Hemisphere, including support for the government of President Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela.While the doors to restoring U.S. tourism to Cuba were nudged open by then-President Barack Obama, the Trump administration has now walked back all of those first steps.Impacted U.S. cruise lines with Cuba on their itineraries include Carnival, Holland America, Seabourn, NCL, Royal Caribbean and MSC Cruises.With files from The Associated Press Tags: Trump << Previous PostNext Post >>