Online Gaming Can you find Carmen Sandiego in Google Earth’s new game? Google Earth It’s been almost 30 years, but Carmen Sandiego isn’t done jet setting around the globe and teaching us about it. The international master thief, a positive role model of course, has taught us the capitals of countries, the locations of historic events, and other geographical facts. Sandiego was such a staple for ’90s kids that Google said it’s releasing a series of games in Google Earth. The first, The Crown Jewels Caper, is available now and pays homage to the original franchise. You can play on web browser, Android or iOS. Your assignment from ACME is to track the elusive Sandiego from London to her hideout. You’ll use the magnifying glass to interview witnesses in different cities and gather clues. When you think you’ve figured out the next step, click the airplane icon to fly to the next city.”[O]ur game is an homage to the original. It’s for all those gumshoes who grew up with the chase, and for the next generation feeling that geography itch for the first time,” Vanessa Schneider, program manager at Google Earth, said in a blog post Wednesday.In January, Netflix released a reboot of the show. Gina Rodriguez lends her voice to Sandiego. The show announced its second season in February.Originally published March 13.Update, March 18: Added more details Carmen Sandiego game. Post a comment Google Tags 0 Share your voice 1:20 Now playing: Watch this: This $150 smartwatch lets kids call and text their parents
APFlorida Gov. Rick Scott gestures as he speaks during a news conference near Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., where a former student is suspected of killing at least 17 people Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018. The shooting at a South Florida high school sent students rushing into the streets as SWAT team members swarmed in and locked down the building. Police were warning that the shooter was still at large even as ambulances converged on the scene and emergency workers appeared to be treating those possibly wounded. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)Three weeks after the Parkland high school shooting, Florida Gov. Rick Scott has a gun-control bill on his desk that challenges the National Rifle Association but falls short of what the Republican and survivors of the massacre demanded.Now he must decide whether to sign it. Scott has not said what he will do, and he plans to take up the issue Friday with relatives of 17 people slain in the Feb. 14 attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.“I’m going to take the time and I’m going to read the bill and I’m going to talk to families,” he said.State lawmakers delivered the reform package Thursday. The governor has 15 days to sign it, veto it or let it become law without his signature.The measure would raise the minimum age to buy rifles from 18 to 21 and extend a three-day waiting period for handgun purchases to include long guns. It would also create a so-called guardian program enabling school employees and many teachers to carry handguns if they go through law enforcement training and their school districts agree to participate.Other provisions would create new mental health programs for schools and establish an anonymous tip line where students and others could report threats to schools. The bill would also ban bump stocks that allow guns to mimic fully automatic fire and seek to improve communication between schools, law enforcement and state agencies.Scott has received top marks from the NRA in the past for supporting gun-rights measures, but he broke with the lobbying group after last month’s slayings, which reinvigorated the gun-control movement.The governor, who is expected to seek a U.S. Senate seat later this year, has called for raising the minimum age to purchase any type of gun, but he does not support arming teachers. Instead, he wanted lawmakers to adopt his own $500 million proposal to put at least one law enforcement officer in every school.The NRA opposes raising age limits to buy weapons or imposing new waiting periods. In a statement Thursday, NRA and Unified Sportsmen of Florida lobbyist Marion Hammer called the bill “a display of bullying and coercion” that would violate Second Amendment rights and punish law-abiding citizens.President Donald Trump congratulated Florida on the legislation, saying state lawmakers “passed a lot of very good legislation last night.”During a Cabinet meeting Thursday, Trump said the White House was working on a plan to ban bump stocks and that efforts to enhance background checks were “moving along well” in Congress.The Florida bill’s narrow passage reflected a mix of Republicans and Democrats in support and opposition. Survivors were split as well.Andrew Pollack, whose daughter was among those killed, said more needed to be done, but there was enough good in the bill that it should pass.“My precious daughter Meadow’s life was taken, and there’s nothing I can do to change that. But make no mistake: I’m a father, and I’m on a mission. I’m on a mission to make sure I’m the last dad to ever read a statement of this kind.”The Tampa Bay Times reported that officials in the state’s largest school districts, including Miami-Dade and Broward counties, have balked at the idea of arming employees and instead called for funding to support putting more police officers in schools.Florida’s teachers union asked Scott to veto $67 million set aside for the guardian program. Under Florida law, Scott can sign the bill but use his line-item veto power to eliminate the funding.“If guns are the appropriate answer, then we owe it to our children to provide appropriate numbers of professional, trained law enforcement personnel … whose work assignment is to protect students and staff,” Florida Education Association President Joanne McCall said in a statement.Teachers in some states, including Texas, can carry concealed weapons if they have required training. At least eight states allow, or do not specifically prohibit, concealed weapons in K-12 schools, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.Meanwhile, one student injured in the shooting was transferred to intensive care after his condition worsened. A hospital spokeswoman said 15-year-old Anthony Borges’ condition became critical overnight.A family attorney did not immediately respond to a request for information. The student has filed notice that he will sue Florida authorities to seek money to cover the cost of his recovery.The suspect in the attack, Nikolas Cruz, a 19-year-old former Stoneman Douglas student, faces 17 counts of first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder for the massacre.His public defender has said he will plead guilty if prosecutors take the death penalty off the table and sentence him to life in prison instead. Prosecutors have 45 days to decide. Share
By Mark F. Gray, Special to the AFROWhen damning information is released to the public, a professional public relations strategy has always been able to make the announcement on a late Friday afternoon heading into the weekend when the audience is distracted. As the University of Maryland released the results of their investigation into the death of Jordan McNair on the precipice of last weekend, there was an admission of guilt to what was already known, but those involved in the fatal chain of events have yet to be held accountable.After accepting its negligence and culpability in the McNair tragedy, the University announced the results of their commissioned investigation which confirmed they didn’t react properly to his symptoms and waited too long to begin what could’ve been life-saving treatment. The 74-page report prepared by Dr. Ron Walters, head of the sports medicine consulting firm Walters, affirmed numerous protocols weren’t followed.UMD admitted guilt in the death of Jordan McNair, who died of heatstroke in June. (Courtesy Photo)It was confirmed that Maryland’s athletic training was tardy when initiating treatment and they waited at least one hour before calling 911 for help. After McNair’s cramps and exhaustion were first reported at 4:53 p.m. he wasn’t taken to the football field house to begin treatment until around 5:20 p.m. The trainers didn’t call the head physician, who told them to call 911 at 5:55 p.m., which was more than an hour after McNair first started showing symptoms on the field. Another 911 call went out at 6:02 p.m. before McNair left for the hospital in an ambulance at 6:27 p.m.Perhaps the most glaring of the missed protocols was there were no cold water immersion tanks on site because practice was moved on May 29 from Maryland Stadium to their practice field late. The absence of this procedure didn’t allow the athletic training staff to administer cold water immersion treatment at the first sign of McNair’s physical distress. This practice is common to immediately bring the body temperature down, which would have stabilized the symptoms until first responders arrived.Walters’ report confirmed what had been previously reported by ESPN. When conditioning drills began at 4:15pm there were water hydration stations placed around the practice fields. Those drills – 10 110 yard sprints – saw McNair finish the first seven in normal time but struggle through the final three. While his teammates helped the former McDonogh star finish his drills he was admonished by football trainer Wes Robinson who told them to, “drag his ass across the field” as he began laboring.Under Robinson’s watch, Maryland’s training staff didn’t begin treating McNair until almost 5 p.m. They never immersed him in the cold tubs, instead choosing to try and cool him down by using cold towels all over his body since they feared drowning because of his size. The trainers didn’t begin any form of aggressive treatment for approximately 30 minutes after his symptoms began which progressively got worse.“Failure to rapidly recognize exertional heat illness is a concern” the report said. “The lack of recognition and assessment of the severity of the event delayed cooling the patient in a timely manner.”The report doesn’t exclude head coach D.J. Durkin from culpability, yet it doesn’t hold him accountable either. The professional fate of Durkin and Robinson still hang in the balance as they remain on administrative leave while another examination by the Board of Regents continues into what ESPN dubbed a “toxic culture.”However, as these investigations continue, the optics continue making the University look bad. The wait for the resolution only compounds the damage when it appears they must move on from Durkin sooner than later.
Kolkata: Calling the 2019 Lok Sabha poll a “scandalous election”, Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee on Friday demanded that electoral reforms should be carried out immediately and there should be a collegium to select the members of the Election Commission of India.Banerjee said the general election was “the most scandalous election in view of the muscle and money power that had been used. To stop this, electoral reforms should be made.” Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataIt may be mentioned that Banerjee had been demanding electoral reforms for over a decade. She reiterated that a thorough search should be conducted into the allegations of EVM tampering. Banerjee said a fact-finding committee should be set up immediately to find out how much money BJP had spent during the elections. “Sometime I hear that BJP had spent Rs 27,000 crore during the elections. Electoral bonds worth Rs 370 crore had been sold from the main branch of the State bank of India between May 6 and May 24. We do not know who the buyers are. I had told repeatedly during my election speeches that huge amounts of money were being smuggled to the districts by BJP leaders. What I had said then is now coming true,” she said. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateBanerjee said a nationwide campaign should be carried out by all the political parties, raising the demand of setting up a fact-finding committee. She said the committee should probe into the allegation that many Electronic Voting Machines had gone missing. She added that a collegium should be set up to select the Election Commission members. “Three members had been nominated and they conducted the election. All the Opposition parties had made several complaints but they had refused to listen,” Banerjee said.
Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are to star in Grace and Frankie, Netflix’s first originally-conceived comedy original.The pair will play long-term rivals brought together when their respective husbands announce they are in love with one another and plan to marry.Netflix has commissioned Skydance Productions (Manhattan, World War Z) to produce the single-cam 13x30mins series, which is written and created by Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman and Howard J. Morris.Kaufman, Morris, Paula Weinstein, Fonda, Tomlin and Skydance’s DavidEllison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross will executive produce.Fonda and Tomlin starred alongside Dolly Parton in the 1980 movie Nine to Five.“Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are among the funniest and most formidable actresses ever and it’s an incredible privilege to give them theopportunity to run riot on Netflix,” said Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer. “The show created for them by Marta and Howard is warm, very funny and anything but wholesome.”“Netflix is redefining the way we produce and consume television and it’s a true privilege to be in business with Ted and his amazing team,” said Skydance’s Ellison. For video streaming service Netflix, Grace and Frankie represents the first time it has ordered an originally-conceived comedy. However, it did bring back seminal mockumentary series Arrested Development last year.Netflix now commissions dramas, documentaries, kids’ shows and comedies.
Some 63% of people experience problems with their broadband, while 45% claim they suffer slow download speeds, according to a new report by UK consumer body, Which?. The study highlights poor speeds and bad customer service, and comes as Which? campaigns for Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to ‘Give us Broadband Speed Guaranteed’ so that customers get the speed and service they pay for.Which? claims that 58% of people who report slow download speeds experience this “frequently or all the time”.Meanwhile, 27% of people who reported a loss of service that was later resolved had to wait two days for this to happen, with 11% having to wait a week or more.“We also found three in 10 (31%) who contacted their provider with a problem said they did not get a resolution at all, a quarter of those who did get a resolution (25%) were dissatisfied with how long it took, and one in five (20%) said they contacted their ISP three times or more to resolve a problem,” said Which?The consumer organisation is now calling on broadband providers to issue customers with written speed estimates at the start of a contract, allow people to exit contracts without penalty if speeds aren’t met, and to refund people for a loss of service.“The internet is an essential part of modern life, yet millions of us are getting frustratingly slow speeds and having to wait days to get reconnected when things go wrong. It’s less superfast broadband, more super slow service from companies who are expecting people to pay for speeds they may never get,” said Which? executive director, Richard Lloyd.