With an election call pending, federal Conservatives are now clarifying the intent of their fixed election date legislation. Government Whip and local MP Jay Hill now says the legislation was only intended to remove a majority government’s ability to manipulate election dates to their own purposes. However, he says in the case of the current minority governments, opposition parties still hold the power to manipulate election dates by refusing to cooperate. In our riding so far the only other candidate confirmed to be running is Betty Beckering, who will run for the NDP. We have made contact with the two other major parities and to date they have not named a candidate for Prince George Peace River. Meanwhile, Liberal leader Stephane Dion has said, “The Prime Minister should be spending less time trying to dream up contrived reasons for forcing an election, and more time addressing the serious issues facing our country, not the least of which is an ongoing food safety crisis.” Prime Minister Harper is expected to ask the Governor General to dissolve Parliament Sunday and call an election for October 14th. Read Jay Hills Weekly Report Here http://www.energeticcity.ca/news/09/04/08/weekly-mp-report-jay-hill- Advertisement –
AC Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso has issued his players a warning as the battle for a top-four spot in the Serie A heats up.The Rossoneri are currently down in sixth-place in the standings and two points adrift of fourth-place AS Roma, who defeated Chievo Verona 3-0 on Friday night.Therefore, victory against Cagliari is a must on Sunday for Milan if they are to retake their spot in the top four of the table in a bid to return to Champions League football for the first time since 2014.Gattuso’s men have only claimed three wins in their last seven Serie A games following a run of tricky fixtures, which recently involved Napoli and Roma.But Milan’s next five opponents are all in the bottom half of the standings and could potentially offer them a chance to establish themselves in the top four.Although Gattuso is taking nothing for granted given Milan’s slip-ups in recent years.“It’s important to stay focused, knowing that for the past seven or eight years we have reached spring and not been in the running for a Champions League spot,” said Gattuso on the club website.“We need to be in a good position when we come to play our final games of the season, this is our objective.“The players have had the opportunity to rest a bit this week, often it’s better to rest than work. Playing before the others has helped us because when we’ve played teams that have less games than us we’ve tended to struggle.Lukaku backed to beat Ronaldo in Serie A scoring charts Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Former Inter Milan star Andy van der Meyde is confident Romelu Lukaku will outscore Cristiano Ronaldo in this season’s Serie A.“It’ll be a difficult match against Cagliari and the stakes are particularly high tomorrow, especially given other results (wins for Lazio and Roma on Thursday and Friday respectively).”In their last 10 league outings, Milan have only found the net eight times and conceded five.“We certainly need to improve technically and fill the penalty area more, and sometimes this can be put down to laziness,” added Gattuso.“However, in order to not concede goals, you have to work hard. It’s all a question of how you are mentally, and we’ve trained to play a certain kind of football.“A lot of desire is needed, and we need to make the difference by thinking about what we want to do.”The Milan and Cagliari will take place at the San Siro on Sunday with kick-off set for 8:30 PM (CET).Coach Gattuso previewed the game against Cagliari. Here are the best bits from the press conference 🎙Un minuto per riascoltare le parole del Mister alla vigilia di #MilanCagliari⏱ pic.twitter.com/eaJC1CSWwj— AC Milan (@acmilan) February 9, 2019
READING, MA — Congratulations to the 43 Wilmington students who made the Fourth Quarter Honor Roll for the 2017-2018 school year at Austin Prep.DISTINCTION (All A’s):Ryan AckerleyJoshua BartnickiCharles BurnhamThomas BurnhamDamian ElkinsLiam FaganAlessandro FanueleNicholas FanueleKristen OlsonMargaret PetersonLiam PrigmoreDevon RobinsonPatricia StevensKatelin StoneHONORS (All A’s & B’s):Kevin AckerleyBrendan ArditoGrace ArditoKatelyn ArditoMolly ArditoDylan ArnoldGrace BrisboisSamuel DeAngelisMatthew DohertyMichael DohertyMolly DuganRobert FarrellJillian FisherAlden GeorgeHeeweon HwangJoseph KelleyEllen KlucznikAndrew MacdonaldLogan MacDonaldAndrew ManganoAlexandra MartinsonAshley MurdockDavid OlsonMegan OlsonLindsey RosaniaKaylee TodiscoNolan VigeantJaelyn WalshFelicia Zuccola(NOTE: The above list was provided by Austin Prep.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 37 Wilmington Students Make Honor Roll At Austin PrepIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 38 Wilmington Students Make Honor Roll At Austin PrepIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 36 Wilmington Students Make Honor Roll At Austin PrepIn “Education”
A health ministry official on Thursday informed the High Court that two officials of Directorate General of Drug Administration (DGDA) have been suspended for their negligence in dealing with case filed over deaths of 28 children in 2009 after taking substandard medicine produced by Rid Pharma.Health Secretary (service) Sirajul Haque Khan appeared before the High Court bench comprising justice Syed Muhammad Dastagir Husain and justice Md. Ataur Rahman Khan and said assistant director Shafiqul Islam and deputy director Altaf Hossain of the Directorate General of Drug Administration have been suspended over the matter.The court exempted the secretary from personal appearance during the future hearing dates as he offered unconditional apology.The court had ordered the health secretary to appear before it on 21 August and he complied with order. The court on that date wanted to know ministry’s action against those two officials, who have been found guilty of negligence in dealing with the sensational case.The court had asked the ministry official to submit a report in this regard within 72-hour.The ministry submitted a report on 21 August, saying the two officials have been warned. After that the court again asked the secretary to appear before the court yesterday to explain ministry’s stand on the matter.The secretary appeared before the court yesterday but the court was not happy with his reply and asked him to appear again today.
In this file photo taken on 22 February 2015 Renu Begum, eldest sister of missing British girl Shamima Begum, holds a picture of her sister while being interviewed by the media in central London. AFP File PhotoIsis bride Shamima Begum could be hanged for terrorism offences if she comes to Bangladesh, reports British daily The Independent quoting Bangladesh foreign minister AK Abdul Momen.Nineteen-year-old Shamima, who left the UK to join Isis in Syria in 2015, was stripped of her British citizenship by the British home secretary Sajid Javid in February last.It is believed he felt legally able to do so because, although international law prevents someone being made stateless, Shamima has heritage rights of citizenship in Bangladesh where her father is from, reports news agency UNB quoting the The Independent report.Momen has said the teenager who is currently living in al-Hol desert refugee camp in Syria would face the death penalty if she ends up in Bangladesh.”We have nothing to do with Shamima Begum,” he told ITV News.”She is not a Bangladeshi citizen. She never applied for Bangladesh citizenship. She was born in England and her mother is British,” he said.”If anyone is found to be involved with terrorism, we have a simple rule. There will be capital punishment. And nothing else,” says foreign minister Momen.
CREDIT: Courtesy of HOOQ Popular on Variety Within some of the world’s most populous nations cooperation, rather than outright competition, may be the best route to success in the streaming video sector.That principal was neatly illustrated by the recent deal to integrate Asian OTT player HOOQ into the lineup of Indian OTT giant Hotstar. The “seamless” connection between Hotstar’s Premium tier and HOOQ has been live for a few days, and was unveiled officially on Monday.It is strictly a business deal based on mutual interest, and does not involve any equity investment. But, overnight, the move expanded the potential Indian audience for HOOQ by several multiples. And in a market like India, where all the pay platforms aggregate a largely similar roster of channels, HOOQ’s strength in localization of Hollywood content helps Hotstar cement its market lead. Together, they boast of being the “Home to Hollywood” in India. Whether, in the long run, the Chinese players will turn out to be collaborators, competitors or corporate investors, remains to be seen. For the moment, Bithos says: “We’ve learned a lot from them, such as the combination of (advertising-supported) and subscription video.” While HOOQ and regional rivals like Iflix, Viu, and Catchplay may be able to outsmart Netflix and Amazon, a more nuanced picture emerges with the giant Chinese video groups. They are not only geographically closer, they are culturally closer. And for iQIYI, Tencent Video and Youku, expansion outside China in the video sector, would logically follow their parent companies’ Southeast Asian and Indian land-grabs in sectors such as groceries, taxis and online ticketing. “Hollywood content needs to be appropriately localized. ‘Supergirl’ may never have screened in Kannada- or Telugu-language versions,” says HOOQ’s CEO Peter Bithos. “Localization is not just about sub-titling. Dubbing creates exposure at a different scale.”Hollywood content has been slowly but surely growing in India over the past decade. Accountancy firm Ernst & Young and trade association FICCI recently reported that Hollywood is now earning 13% of India’s theatrical box office, up from low single figures, a decade ago. That has been achieved by Hollywood distributors going further down the localization route than almost any of Indian cinema’s strictly regional film businesses had done ever before – and by Indian audiences’ increasing familiarity with overseas content, due to travel and the Internet.HOOQ’s India strategy emerges from a recent pivot, to focus entirely on the English-language sector in the world’s second most populous nation, and to take the linguistic localization effort further. “We are playing the OTT channel strategy in India,” says Bithos. HOOQ was already carried on Airtel and Vodafone, but Hotstar, backed by 21st Century Fox’s conventional pay-TV leader, has grown beyond all expectations, and now has over 150 million subscribers.Bithos also claims there is “almost no overlap” between its HOOQ’s 6,000 hours of Hollywood content, and Hotstar’s existing supply deals. Hotstar previously offered HBO Showtime and some of the Disney lineup. HOOQ brings with it swathes of Miramax, BBC, Starz, Endemol Shine, PVR, Turner, Mattel and Lionsgate content in addition to films and shows from HOOQ shareholders Warner Bros. and Sony.The two Hollywood majors bought in to a venture initially backed by Singaporean phones and TV group Singtel. They were last reported as having stakes of 17.5% each.While HOOQ is still at the loss-making, development stage, and could do with a couple more strategic investors, it represents a smartly differentiated play that contrasts with the strategies of the global players. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 Netflix and Amazon are both believed to be making only modest headway in the parts of East Asia situated between Australia (one of Netflix’s best international success stories) and Japan. With their model of monthly subscriptions and developed market price points, the pair are not as nimble or within financial reach of the region’s 1.8 billion population, as native Asian OTT services.“South East Asia takes a lot of innovation, you can’t just apply the made-in-California model,” says Bithos. HOOQ, for example, has struck co-op arrangements with dozens of telcos and payment facilitators in its other business in South East Asia, and offers single day, full access subscription for as little as $0.25 per day.The business plan in its four South East Asian territories – Indonesia, The Philippines, Thailand and, since 2016, Singapore – is distinct from its India strategy. It seeks OTT market leadership through localization and adaptation.The company claims to be the OTT leader in Indonesia and to offer “the best of local” film and episodic TV content. That has meant moves into original production, something it does not do in India. It has backed shows such as “On The Job” from The Philippines and movies such as “Marlina The Murderer in Four Acts” from Indonesia. Low-budget, telenovela-style series that run for hundreds of episodes are the staple in much of the Southeast Asia. “We aim to bring to market the golden age of TV. There was nothing like (a local equivalent of) ‘Breaking Bad’ or ‘The Sopranos’, quality, binge-worthy content,” says Bithos.