Embracing fatherhood – ‘Family man’ Mattocks ready for commitment

first_imgHelping Jamaica to a 2018 FIFA World Cup berth may be high on his agenda, but Reggae Boyz and Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks has other things on his mind these days. Mattocks, a former schoolboy star with Bridgeport High School, is looking forward to becoming a first-time father. The 25-year-old, who is currently in Jamaica on a break from his professional duties in the Major League Soccer (MLS), beamed with excitement as he confirmed the news. He noted that he is anxiously awaiting the birth of his firstborn, expected to be delivered later this year. “The child is not yet born,” a smiling Mattocks told Saturday Sports during a Red Stripe Premier League match between his former local club Waterhouse and Montego Bay United earlier this week. Clearly in high spirits, Mattocks, who has scored 12 goals in 31 appearances for the Reggae Boyz, says he feels absolutely ready for the commitment. “I think from a young age, I have been a responsible person as I have been living on my own since age 18,” said Mattocks. “As I get older, there are different things I want in life, and this is one of them. I’m looking forward to being a father for the first time,” Mattocks noted, while sharing a bit about his relationship with his significant other. “I’m with a special female. She is a wonderful person, someone to spend my life with, so I’m really excited. I know that I’m going to do a very good job. I take care of my entire family, so this (baby) is an extension,” he said. Mattock is a graduate of Bridgeport High in Portmore and also spent two years at Akron University in the United States. He was drafted into the MLS in 2012 and has represented Vancouver Whitecaps based in Canada since. He has made 93 appearances and scored 19 times for the MLS outfit.last_img read more

Mother seeks answers after son dies

first_img… Police investigating death as suicideThe mother of a 19-year-old mechanic is hoping to find some answers for the death of her son, who allegedly killed himself while being questioned by two Policemen.Tyrell PershadSherlene Pershad, in an interview with Guyana Times, said she had spoken to her son at about midday on Monday and he told her he wanted her to pick up some documents. She stated that her son, Tyrell Pershad, was picked up from his workplace by two Police Officers and taken to their home at Stewartville, West Coast Demerara, to uplift some documents, and a marriage certificate he had signed with an 18-year-old girl.“The girl’s mother didn’t like him and she would tell me to keep my son away from her daughter. So the Police come and order him to go and find the documents that he married to the girl and some other ones. I don’t know which documents but he carried them to our house,” she lamented.The woman said the Police told her that when they reached her home, Pershad went into the house and never came out and when they called for him, they received no answer. “They said they waited 10 minutes and when they called for him, he took a while to answer and after that the Police said he heard a noise that sound like he jump off from a wardrobe and hang himself,” the mother cried.She said the Police claimed they left after the young man did not return with the documents.Pershad recalled that when she reached home that evening, she stumbled into her son’s lifeless body which was hanging near the light switch. “When I see him I holler and unbolt the door and run outside,” she said.“The mat on the ground was in a lump on the floor, things were scattered and a table cloth was pulled down,” she said, adding that she noticed her son’s sandals, which he was wearing on that day, were in the back yard.“I think that something went wrong in the house,” she said, arguing that her son would never commit suicide.However, Commander of ‘D’ Division (West Bank Demerara-East Bank Essequibo) Stephen Mansell told this newspaper that the Policemen have given statements in the matter and the Police is investigating Pershad’s death as a “suicide.”A post-mortem report revealed that Pershad died of suffocation. However, his mother believes something is still amiss. “The report said he died at 1:30pm but I talk to him at 1:18 pm and he was at the Police Station then,” she said, adding that “something is not right”.last_img read more