Organisation News October 14, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Appeal hearing next week for journalist sentenced to prison for putting poem on website February 6, 2021 Find out more As expected, cyber-dissident Shohdy Surur’s prison sentence was confirmedon 14 October by the appeals court. He lives in Russia and did not attendthe hearing.________________________________________________________________11 octobre 2002Reporters Without Borders expressed support today for Shohdy Surur (see sketch by Gamil Shafiq of Al-Ahram), webmaster for the Egyptian Al Ahram Weekly, whose appeal will be heard next week against a one-year prison sentence he received in June for posting on another website a sexually-explicit, socially critical poem written by his late father 30 years ago. “This conviction, unprecedented in Egypt, is quite grotesque,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard. “Why should he be declared guilty today of something written back then by his father, who was himself never prosecuted when he was alive?”While claiming they are defending public decency, the authorities are really trying to stifle free expression on the Internet. In 1993, the constitutional high court ruled that the right to criticise people, including public officials, was an integral part of democracy. This right should apply to any media,” Ménard said, adding that if Surur’s sentence was confirmed, “Egypt will be joining the club of countries who are enemies of the Internet.”Surur was sentenced on 30 June under article 178 of the penal code, which forbids possession of material for sale or distribution “with intent to corrupt public morals.” He had posted on a website, www.wadada.net, which is partly devoted to the work of his poet and actor father Naguib, a poem called Kuss Ummiyat, which contained passages said to be “an affront to public morals.”The poem was written by the elder Surur (see sketch), in earthy and sexually-explicit language, as a criticism of Egyptian society and culture after the country’s defeat in the 1967 Six-Day War with Israel. He several times likens Egypt to a prostitute. Since no law refers to the Internet, the state brought charges under the law on public morals.The poem has been on the US-based www.wadada.net for the past three years. Its author, who died in 1978, was never prosecuted for writing it. Though never published in Egypt, it is very well-known there and audio cassettes of it easily found.Shohdy Surur was arrested on 22 November last year at his home, which was searched and his computer seized. Police interrogated him for three days. Surur, who has dual Russian and Egyptian nationality and lives in Russia, will not be attending the appeal hearing, set for 14 October in Cairo, which means the appeal might be rejected and the jail sentence confirmed.Surur was born in Russia, his mother’s nationality, and is one of Russia’s Internet pioneers. He was part of the team that created the country’s first webzine (www.zhurnal.ru), where a Russian translation of John Barlow’s “A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace” appeared which he later translated into Arabic. From 1998, he worked in Cairo as webmaster of the English-language Al-Ahram Weekly’s website.A petition is available at www.wadada.net News Follow the news on Egypt January 22, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Receive email alerts News News EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison February 1, 2021 Find out more Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff EgyptMiddle East – North Africa to go further Help by sharing this information
Organisation February 5, 2021 Find out more Dans la nuit du 19 au 20 janvier 2008, Marcus Bensmann, journaliste allemand spécialiste de l’Asie centrale a été sauvagement agressé et grièvement blessé dans la capitale kazakhe, Astana. “Nous sommes horrifiés par la violence de l’agression subie par Marcus Bensmann et nous tenons à exprimer au journaliste et à ses proches, toute notre solidarité. Nous demandons aux autorités de tout mettre en œuvre pour retrouver et juger les responsables de ce crime”, a déclaré Reporters sans frontières.“Beaucoup d’inconnus demeurent encore sur les circonstances et le mobile de cette agression. Le plus urgent est de recueillir le témoignage du journaliste, quand il sera en mesure de le donner”, a poursuivi l’organisation. Le 19 janvier, Marcus Bensmann, s’était rendu à Astana pour la chaîne allemande ARD, afin de préparer un reportage consacré à la capitale kazakhe. Il a donné de ses nouvelles pour la dernière fois tard dans la nuit. Stefan Stuchlik, correspondant de la chaîne à Moscou, s’est alors entretenu avec lui. Plusieurs heures plus tard, Marcus Bensmann était découvert étendu sans connaissance, par le gardien d’un parking situé à la sortie de la ville. Tous ses biens lui ont été dérobés. Il a séjourné plusieurs heures dans la neige, par – 20 degrés. Transporté à l’hôpital d’Astana, le journaliste souffre de blessures graves au visage, de fractures du nez, de la mâchoire, ainsi que d’engelures. Il a été rapatrié en Allemagne le 22 janvier. RSF_en January 22, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Un journaliste allemand sauvagement agressé à Astana Reporters prevented from covering Kazakh parliamentary elections News News KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia News KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia Source photo : http://www.weltreporter.net to go further Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Kazakhstan Receive email alerts La télevision publique allemande avait programmé pour la semaine précédente un reportage de Marcus Bensmann consacré à l‘assassinat d’Alisher Sayipov, un journaliste indépendant d’origine ouzbèke, le 24 octobre 2007, en Kirghizie. Le film était très critique du régime d’Islam Karimov et de la politique étrangère allemande vis-à-vis de l’Ouzbékistan. La diffusion de ce sujet avait finalement été reportée. News Kazakh reporter accuses police of attacking her Regional newspaper editor harassed after investigating real estate scandal January 15, 2021 Find out more October 30, 2020 Find out more
Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Facebook Local NewsUS News Washington taps pastors to overcome racial divide on vaccine Facebook In this Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021, photo Reginald Henry, 69, of Washington, receives his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at a clinic at Howard University, in Washington. “I felt confident about getting the vaccine,” says Henry, who lives in a senior building, “because God helps those who help themselves.” Twitter By Digital AIM Web Support – February 23, 2021 Pinterest TAGS WhatsApp Previous articleO2COOL Expands Family of Brands With LunchBots AcquisitionNext articleInterior nominee Haaland questioned on drilling, pipelines Digital AIM Web Support
Previous articleFishing communities being urged to feed into new EU funded development strategyNext articleOfficial opening of Jigsaw service News Highland Google+ WhatsApp Facebook Google+ Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th By News Highland – April 19, 2013 Facebook No progress reported from Gweedore creche meeting Pinterest Twitter Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal News RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic Pinterest Twitter Gardai continue to investigate Kilmacrennan fire 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in North Parents say they ‘are no further on’ following today’s meeting in Gweedore to discuss the fate of the community crecheParents were told last week that it may have to close next month.At least 30 children are cared for at the facility which is supported by Udaras na Gaeltachta, but run privately on a not for profit basis.Udaras, the board and other interested parties were represented at this afternoon’s discussions.Local community activist Michael Mc Giolla Easpaig says parents taking over responsibility of the creche,and is Udarus favours, is not realistic:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/mikrawCRECHE.mp3[/podcast] WhatsApp
Top StoriesBreaking: Delhi High Court Directs Status Quo To Be Maintained On Reliance-FRL Stake Sale Deal On Amazon’s Plea Shreya Agarwal2 Feb 2021 4:55 AMShare This – xHearing a plea by Amazon Inc against Future Retail Ltd (FRL) and Reliance Industries’ retail stake sale deal worth Rs. 25,000 cr approved by a Board Resolution of FRL last year, the Delhi High Court today granted interim relief to Amazon directing all authorities and parties to maintain status quo on the deal until a detailed interim order on the case. The bench of Justice Midha also gave…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginHearing a plea by Amazon Inc against Future Retail Ltd (FRL) and Reliance Industries’ retail stake sale deal worth Rs. 25,000 cr approved by a Board Resolution of FRL last year, the Delhi High Court today granted interim relief to Amazon directing all authorities and parties to maintain status quo on the deal until a detailed interim order on the case. The bench of Justice Midha also gave a strong prima facie view in Amazon’s favour that as opposed to FRL’s plea that the Award was a nullity, the Emergency Award is infact enforceable under Section 17 (2) of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, and therefore directed FRL to bring on record all steps and actions taken by it towards the deal, after the award of the Emergency Arbitrator was passed on the arbitration on Oct 25, 2020The Delhi High Court had earlier issued notice on Amazon’s plea seeking interim injunction against Future Retail Ltd (FRL) and Reliance Industries Ltd’s deal worth nearly Rs. 25000 crores, and sought clarity on the factual position of all parties involved. The bench of Justice Midha had also directed the parties to submit a note on their factual positions and legal propositions.Earlier, Sr. Adv. Darius Khambata, appearing for FRL, had argued that even under the SIAC Rules, which govern the arbitration agreement between the parties, the Emergency Arbitrator is not the tribunal; and further submitted that the Single Judge Bench order of Justice Mukta Gupta too, had not held anywhere that the Emergency Arbitrator’s award was to be treated as an order under Section 17 of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, therefore the award was not enforceable under S.17.However, strongly objecting to Khambata’s submission, Sr. Adv. Gopal Subramanium appearing on behalf of Amazon today submitted that FRL could not unilaterally declare an otherwise valid award as a nullity qua itself, whereas for all other parties to the Arbitration agreement the award was still valid and binding.Senior Advocate Gopal Subramanium, Pathak and Associates, AZB and Advocates Pawan Bhushan Hima Lawrence Ujwala Uppaluri appeared for Amazon.Click Here To Download Order[Read Order]Next Story
Twitter Twitter Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Google+ Pinterest Pinterest By News Highland – March 22, 2018 Homepage BannerNews Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleToland and Boyle Carr suffer defeat with Ireland in GermanyNext articleHighland’s Farming News – Thursday 22nd February News Highland There have been reports of an arrest made in the Stranorlar area today.Gardai have confirmed a cross-border joint operation with the PSNI is ongoing at the moment.No further details are currently known. WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Joint cross-border Garda operation ongoing in Stranorlar WhatsApp Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Facebook Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+
By News Highland – April 22, 2020 Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest Previous articleDonegal continues to have one of the lowest rents in IrelandNext articleInvestigation continuing into fire at former Model Bakery site News Highland Facebook WhatsApp One million euro of funds from the Anti Dumping Initiative is to be ring-fenced to tackle a reported increase in illegal dumping during the Covid-19 crisis.Environment Minister Richard Bruton says the money will go towards a number of measures including waste removal and the installation of CCTV cameras.A rise in fly-tipping has been reported in a number of counties including Dublin, Cork and Louth. Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Twitter Homepage BannerNews Pinterest Facebook Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA New measures to tackle illegal dumping announced News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Community Enhancement Programme open for applications
Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Twitter Previous articleShots fired at a car in Derry overnightNext articleKevin Sharkey confirms intentions to run in presidential election News Highland Google+ Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th WhatsApp Update: ‘Ricky from the Chippy’ released on bail Homepage BannerNews A man who has reportedly been forced out of his home in Kilcar by immigration officials has been released on bail.Vikram Sharma, known also as Ricky, had become an active member of the community of Kilcar having got involved in local festivals, Tidy Towns and many community events.He has been released into the care of Martin Burn with the focus now turning to securing his asylum.He’s due to return to court in May.Mr. Burn has been giving an update of the situation on today’s Nine Till Noon Show:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/rickgthghgy1pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. By News Highland – March 26, 2018 Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Community Enhancement Programme open for applications
iStock(SANTA CLARITA, Calif.) — With heavy hearts and under tight security, students returned on Monday to Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, for the first time since a 16-year-old boy went on a shooting rampage that left two classmates dead and three injured.Students, many of them escorted by their parents, were greeted at the main gate to the school by teachers, administrators and counselors who offered hugs and words of encouragement as they resumed classes and attempted to return to some semblance of normal life.All around the campus, community residents had hung signs, including a large banner with the word “Strong” and the school’s mascot, the Centurian.But sheriff’s deputies posted outside the school also served as a reminder of the killings that occurred in the high school quad last month.“School staff will be busy supporting grieving students and trying to restore as much normalcy as possible during this difficult time,” according to a note posted on the William S. Hart Union High School District website. “For the first week back, we will limit access to campus to students, staff, and parents who need to contact the office.”At 7:40 a.m. on Nov. 14, Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow, a 16-year-old student at Saugus High School, allegedly pulled a handgun out of his backpack and opened fire on classmates.Killed in the attack were 15-year-old Gracie Muehlberger and 14-year-old Dominic Blackwell. Three other students were hurt in the rampage before Berhow turned the gun on himself and took his own life, officials said.Investigators have yet to comment on a possible motive for the killings.During a news conference last week, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Berhow used an untraceable “ghost gun,” a weapon purchased as a kit that can be assembled at home.Villanueva said Berhow’s .45 caliber gun, a 1911-model replica semi-automatic pistol, was assembled from gun parts and did not have a serial number.Just as students were returning to the Santa Clarita campus on Monday, gunfire rang out at a high school about 2,000 miles away.At 10:17 a.m. local time, Waukesha South High School in Waukesha, Wisconsin, a suburb of Milwaukee, was put on lockdown for 90 minutes after a school resource officer confronted a student with a pistol inside a classroom, Waukesha Police Chief Russell Jack said at a news conference.Jack said the school resource officer cleared other students from the classroom and was attempting to de-escalate the situation when the 17-year-old student pulled a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at the school resource officer and other officers who responded to the incident. One of the officers, an 11-year veteran of the police department, shot the teen, who was in stable condition at a hospital, Jack said.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Beau Lund June 23, 2020 /Sports News – National Tennis champ Novak Djokovic tests positive for COVID-19 Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailJoe Faraoni / ESPN ImagesBy EMILY SHAPIRO, ABC News(NEW YORK) — Tennis champion Novak Djokovic said Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19. “I will remain in self-isolation for the next 14 days, and repeat the test in five days,” he said in a statement. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.