ROME (AP): Napoli are halfway to their first Serie A title since Diego Maradona led the club to the 1990 championship. Gonzalo Higuain scored twice as Napoli routed promoted Frosinone 5-1 yesterday to earn the southern team the Italian league’s symbolic “winter title”. Through 19 rounds of the 38-match season, Napoli hold a two-point lead over Inter Milan, who were beaten 1-0 by Sassuolo earlier with a last-minute penalty to surrender the lead. The winter champions have gone on to win Serie A nearly seven out of every 10 seasons. “We’re still not sure what we’re capable of,” Napoli’s first-year manager Maurizio Sarri said. The last time Napoli earned the mid-term honor came in 1990. “Being winter champion means nothing. It means something when you’re champion in May,” Higuain said. “We’ve got to stay calm now because there are still five months to go and we want to continue this way.” Fiorentina are third, three points behind, after losing 3-1 to Lazio on Saturday. Also yesterday, it was: Atalanta 0, Genoa 2; Bologna 0, Chievo Verona 1; Torino 0, Empoli 1; and Hellas Verona 0, Palermo 1. In an entertaining match at the San Siro, both Inter and Sassuolo produced numerous chances and goalkeepers Samir Handanovic and Andrea Consigli were superb. Inter threatened early with Mauro Icardi and Adem Ljajic, then Simone Missiroli and Nicola Sansone were dangerous for Sassuolo. Handanovic tipped a free-kick from Sansone over the bar and Consigli made an extraordinary diving save to swat away a shot from Ljajic before the break. Inter substitute Rodrigo Palacio had a clear look in the 79th, but his effort was cleared off the line by defender Federico Peluso. Miranda’s decisive foul came after an error by fellow center back Jeison Murillo. Berardi then calmly beat Handanovic, improving to a perfect 6-for-6 on penalties this season. Having been beaten by Lazio before the holiday break, Inter has now lost two consecutive home matches in Serie A for the first time since May 2013. Sassuolo are sixth, 10 points behind Napoli.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“Moviegoers are eagerly awaiting the next chapter in the career of this beloved actress and we are looking forward to thanking her for all that she’s already given us.” Roberts’ portrayal of crusading legal advocate “Erin Brockovich,” won the actress an Oscar and a Golden Globe. The actress’ film credits also include “Pretty Woman,” “Steel Magnolias,” and “Mystic Pizza.” Other notable Cinematheque Award recipients include Steven Spielberg, Nicole Kidman, Sean Connery, and Al Pacino. Today’s awards ceremony at the Beverly Hilton hotel will be broadcast in December on AMC. BEVERLY HILLS – Oscar-winning actress Julia Roberts will receive the 22nd American Cinematheque Award today at the Beverly Hilton, honoring her contributions to the film industry. Presenting the award will be Roberts’ co-star in “The Pelican Brief,” Denzel Washington. Roberts was the presenter last year when George Clooney was honored by American Cinematheque with their 21st Award. “Julia Roberts is a true movie star who has delighted audiences and critics in so many pictures,” said Rick Nicita, Chairman of the Board of the American Cinematheque. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A major power-cut has cut electricity supply to thousands of homes around Letterkenny.The power went in homes and business around 9.25am.The ESB say a major fault has occurred but are unable to say what was the cause. The power has since returned. ESB SAY MAJOR FAULT HAS KNOCKED OUT POWER TO THOUSANDS OF HOMES was last modified: November 13th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ESBfaultletterkenny
Facebook also will work more closely with mobile-phone carriers to monitor the lists of recycled numbers and reduce the frequency of unwanted text messages.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN JOSE – Pressured by a lawsuit, Internet social network Facebook Inc. will adopt new measures to prevent its 58 million members from sending text messages to recycled cell phone numbers. The settlement was announced Tuesday by attorneys for an Indiana woman who claimed Palo Alto-based Facebook had been profiting from text messages sent by its members after the intended recipients had given up the phone numbers. The lawsuit filed by Lindsey Abrams of Patriot, Ind., said she received text messages with explicit comments and other upsetting content – and had to pay 10 cents each time. Facebook received a share of the fee, according to the complaint. According to the complaint, which Abrams’ lawyers had hoped would be certified as a class action, Abrams started getting the unsolicited messages shortly after she got a new mobile number from Verizon Communications Inc. in November 2006. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champHer suit alleged thousands of other unauthorized text messages had been sent nationwide to other recycled phone numbers, including some used by young children. Facebook stipulated to the agreement in court papers filed Dec. 14 in San Jose federal court. A Facebook spokeswoman declined to comment Tuesday. The two-month-old case highlighted the problems that can arise as Web sites extend their services to mobile handsets with phone numbers that have been reassigned after another customer’s service ended. Facebook’s rapid growth has greatly increased the chances of unauthorized messages originating from its network. Nearly 40 million people have joined Facebook in the past eight months. Without admitting any wrongdoing, Facebook agreed to make it easier for recipients of text messages to block future messages originating from the social network.