“He’s got a high basketball IQ and he’s using it. He’s really listening to what we asked him to do and he’s executing it to perfection,” Ginebra coach said of Caperal.In Game 2, Caperal introduced himself to the PBA by doing what he’s known for during his college days at Arellano University, hitting perimeter shots on his way to a career-high 26 points on 11-of-18 shooting from the field on top of eight rebounds.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Game 3, meanwhile, saw Caperal, a floor-spacing big man, stand his ground on defense against the most dominant player in the country today in June Mar Fajardo.“First game, he was a revelation because of his ability to shoot the ball and pull June Mar away from the basket,” Cone recalled.“But tonight, I thought it was another revelation, he just stuck his nose on the defensive side. His shots weren’t falling as much but he made it up on the defensive side.”The 6-foot-6 Caperal scored only 12 points on 5-of-12 shooting from the field and grabbed four rebounds in 33 minutes but his overall impact went beyond his numbers and reflected on Fajardo’s production.ADVERTISEMENT View comments In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown LATEST STORIES Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism [email protected]’s @PrinceCaperal_ was happy that his solid Game 3 finally ended up with a victory. #PBA2018 pic.twitter.com/c3hd2elQZt— Randolph B. Leongson (@RLeongsonINQ) March 13, 2018 Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Slaughter remains day-to-day; Cone says center still in pain Fajardo, the reigning four-time MVP, dominated with 33 points on 11-of-18 and 19 rebounds in his previous outing. He still came away with 23 points and 16 rebounds in Game 3 but he had to work much harder for his baskets.“My role as a starter is to defend June Mar and be a physical presence against him and at least make it a little tougher for him,” Caperal, whom Ginebra picked up from the free agent pool early last month, said in Filipino.“I had mixed emotions last game because I had my breakout game but at the same time we lost. It feels good to win this game. But I’m not doing anything special, I’m just playing my game.”Most still get surprised whenever Caperal makes a good play, but not Cone and the rest of the Gin Kings.“We knew he was good,” said Cone.The rest of the league may just have to get used to it.“Very special two games from him and he’s going to continue to be key in this series,” Cone praised. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netPrince Caperal showed he is no fluke.After having the game of his life on Sunday night, Caperal again played a vital role for Barangay Ginebra in its best-of-seven semifinals series against San Miguel Beer and this time, the Gin Kings won.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Explosive Gilas Pilipinas not yet at its best, says Tim Cone PLAY LIST 01:45Explosive Gilas Pilipinas not yet at its best, says Tim Cone03:42SEA Games: Rogen Ladon enters flyweight boxing semis02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award
Like thousands of other Africans, Lamin came to Russia during the 2018 tournament on a “Fan ID” that allowed spectators to bypass the country’s usual visa requirements.While most came purely to watch the football, others had plans to stay on and find work.Some believed they could claim asylum in Russia or that the country would be a stepping-stone to life in Europe.But eight months after the World Cup, their hopes have been dashed and the Russian interior ministry has said it is stepping up measures to deport all over-staying guests by the end of March.– Little hope of asylum –Like thousands of other Africans, Lamin came to Russia during last year’s World Cup on a special temporary visa for fans, which he overstayed © AFP / Mladen ANTONOVLamin, an assumed name, said he needed to flee a family conflict in The Gambia because his life was in danger.A church friend told him Russia would be easy to enter during the period it was hosting the football tournament.Even so, it wasn’t easy when he arrived.“I was confused, I had no place to stay, the situation was tough,” he said.The former management student was eventually helped by a Liberian immigrant who shared food and offered a space in the apartment.But during a raid in February, police found the Liberian had no valid documents and he was deported.“I don’t know what I’m going to do next, I’m totally scared,” said Lamin, who has been given temporary leave to stay until the middle of March.With the help of the Civic Assistance Committee, an organisation that works with refugees in Russia, he has put in an application for permanent asylum.There is little hope, however, of it being granted. Official figures show that in 2017, Russia gave full refugee status to just 33 people.– Wave of arrivals –Lamin, a 23-year old Gambian, is one of some 12,000 people who stayed on in Russia illegally after his fan visa for the World Cup expired © AFP / Mladen ANTONOVThe “Fan IDs” were originally valid just for the period of the World Cup, but President Vladimir Putin later announced they could be used for re-entry until the end of 2018.Last month, interior ministry official Andrei Krayushkin said 12,000 people had stayed on illegally after the end of the year.But efforts by the security services had so far reduced that number to 5,500, he told a press conference.Daniel, who has worked with African migrants in Moscow for 10 years but did not want to give his last name nor where he works for fear of repercussions, said the World Cup had brought the biggest wave of arrivals he had ever seen.“When they get here, they’re stuck. They don’t want to go back, they can’t go forward,” he told AFP.“Most don’t speak Russian, and without Russian, the chances are very small of finding a job.”One such immigrant is Solomon, who came during the World Cup to watch Nigeria play — his home side. He already had plans to stay on after the tournament.At first, the 31-year-old found work as a gardener but is now unemployed.“In Nigeria, there is no job, no good politics, no good life,” the engineering graduate said.“I just want to stay here for a little time, so that I am able to work, get some money and go to another place.”He is “very worried” about the interior ministry’s March deadline, but says he has no plans to leave of his own accord.– Trafficking victims –Rights groups say that most African migrants don’t speak Russian, and without that, they stand very little chance of finding work © AFP / Mladen ANTONOVA few in extreme circumstances have been granted leave to stay beyond March.Victoria came from Nigeria on a World Cup ticket with plans to study in Russia, but on arrival, the 22-year-old discovered she had been trafficked into prostitution.A woman came to meet her at the airport, took her back to a flat and told her to take off her clothes.“She took my passport and my Fan ID,” Victoria said.After being forced to work as a street prostitute, Victoria got in touch with the anti-trafficking NGO Alternativa and managed to escape.The organisation has helped her obtain permission to remain until the summer, and she has found some work in a shoe repair shop.“I want to stay in Russia,” she told AFP at the NGO’s central Moscow office.“Not to stay permanently — I just want to have some money, so that at least when I go back to Nigeria I can start a business.”But others who were trafficked, like 20-year-old Progress, remain in a state of limbo.Alternativa is preparing an application for an extension so that “maybe I can stay in Russia,” said the young Nigerian woman, who was also forced into prostitution.“A lot of the girls who came with me are still working. They are too scared to leave.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Only 33 people won full refugee status in Russia in 2017 © AFP / Mladen ANTONOVMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Mar 6 – In a cramped apartment on the outskirts of Moscow, Lamin has little more than the clothes and the Bible he brought with him when he came to Russia on a temporary World Cup visa last summer.The 23-year-old Gambian shares the two-bedroom flat with nine other people — the youngest a newborn baby girl, the daughter of a Congolese flatmate.