Reports October 27, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information News to go further News EritreaAfrica Receive email alerts News April 14, 2021 Find out more RSF urges Swedish judicial authorities to reverse Dawit Isaak decision Swedish prosecutors again refuse to investigate Dawit Isaak case August 30, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Three journalists held since 2001 die in Eiraeiro prison camp RSF_en Follow the news on Eritrea After several weeks of investigating reports from sources in Eritrea and from prison guards who fled the country, Reporters Without Borders has been able to confirm that three more journalists – Dawit Habtemichael, Mattewos Habteab and Wedi Itay – have died in the northeastern prison camp of Eiraeiro. All three had been held since late 2001.Another journalist arrested in February 2009, whose identity has not been established with certainty, has also reportedly died in detention – in his case, in Abi Abeito military prison near the capital, Asmara.The only good news is that Tesfalidet “Topo” Mebrahtu, a well-known sports journalist who worked for state-owned radio Dimtsi Hafash and state-owned Eri-TV, was “released on bond” (he is still under surveillance, with relatives acting as guarantors) in early 2012 after being held for 10 months.”While all eyes are turned on Syria, another, less visible, tragedy is being played out in Eritrea, a country forgotten by the international community although it is the world’s leading media freedom violator and Africa’s biggest prison for journalists ” Reporters Without Borders said. “In Eritrea, journalists have been thrown in prison just for daring to express their opinions. Some have been held for more than 10 years and are disappearing one by one. Located in the northeast of the country, Eiraeiro is not a prison, it is a death camp.” Reporters Without Borders first revealed details about conditions at Eiraeiro in January 2008 (http://en.rsf.org/eritrea-new-revelations-about-eiraeiro-30-01-2008,3337…), after meeting a former camp guard. Further details were provided in 2010, on the basis of statements made by another former guard, Eyob Bahta, shortly after he fled to Ethiopia. What follows is based on new eyewitness accounts from this death camp.I – Three more of the journalists held since 2001 die in detentionDawit HabtemichaelArrested on 21 September 2001 after hiding for three days in the school where he taught physics, Habtemichael was the deputy editor and co-founder of the biweekly Meqaleh. Aged 30 at the time of his arrest, he was one of the youngest of the Eritrean journalists to be detained. After his mental health began to deteriorate in 2007, he became schizophrenic and finally lost all contact with reality in 2010. The failure to treat his steadily worsening mental condition is thought to have been the cause of his death in the second half of 2010. He was prisoner No. 12 at Eiraeiro.Mattewos HabteabMeqaleh co-founder and editor Mattewos Habteab and another journalist, Temesgen Gebreyesus, were transferred to a prison in the Dahlak Archipelago in late 2008 but were subsequently brought back to the mainland, to Eiraeiro, and it was there that Habteab finally succumbed to the camp’s appalling conditions.Sahle Tsegazab, aka Wedi ItayBetter known by the pen-name of Wedi Itay, Sahle Tsegazab was a freelance journalist and writer who often worked for privately-owned newspapers such as Keste Debena as well as the pro-government daily Hadas Eritrea. Arrested in October 2001, he died at Eiraeiro from an identified illness and from the lack of medical treatment.It was previously established that four of the other journalists arrested around the same time in 2001 – Medhanie Haile, Yusuf Mohamed Ali, Said Abdulkader and Fessehaye “Joshua” Yohannes – died in detention.As a result, only four members of the group of journalists arrested in September/October 2001 – Dawit Isaac, Seyoum Tsehaye, Amanuel Asrat and Temesgen Gebreyesus – are still alive.II – Torture and mistreatment of state media journalists held since 2009Former prison guard Berhane Afro fled the country earlier this year and is seeking asylum in Israel. He was a guard at Adi Abeito military prison, where most of the journalists arrested at Radio Bana and other state media in February 2009 are being held. He said information minister Ali Abdu and one of his employees, identified only as Asmelash, went to Adi Abeito recently to talk to the prison’s governor, Wedi Welela. He also reported that journalists held at Adi Abeito are subjected to various forms of torture and mistreatment including electric shock, beatings and solitary confinement. Food is sometimes withheld and they are denied medical care.A journalist identified only by the given name of Bereket reportedly died as a result of these appalling conditions. It is believed that this journalist is Bereket Misghina, but Reporters Without Borders cannot confirm this with complete certainty.All the journalists arrested in 2009 are accused of collaborating with western NGOs and government and with exile opposition groups. They are allowed no visits. Some, such as the journalist, writer and translator Mulubrahan Habtegebriel and the young journalist and poet Meles Negusse, are still being held at Adi Abeito. Others have been moved to other detention centres. They include Eri-TV journalist Isaac Abraham, who has been transferred to May Srwa. Yirgalem Fisseha Mebrahtu, a woman journalist who was arrested in February 2009, is reportedly still in an Asmara hospital.Photo : Eiraeiro death camp January 13, 2021 Find out more Prisoner of Conscience Since 2001 – Why has Sweden not managed to bring Dawit Isaak home? EritreaAfrica Organisation
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes Business Districts News Parsons to Support NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Office Upgrade Program From STAFF REPORTS Published on Thursday, February 9, 2017 | 10:56 am Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. More Cool Stuff Parsons announced that it has received a contract from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s (NASA’s) Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) for its Office Upgrade Program Management Services contract at its 176-acre site near Pasadena, CA. Parsons will provide program management, architectural design services, construction administration services (related to the architectural design), and construction management services for the laboratory, which is managed by the California Institute of Technology.These new contracts continue our strong relationship with JPL, NASA, and Caltech,” stated Carey Smith, Parsons Group President. “Parsons has a history of 40+ years providing engineering, procurement, and construction services on projects ranging from the Deep Space Network Communication Complexes to the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory and NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center.”JPL is a national research facility that specializes in robotic exploration of the solar system, and it has 19 spacecraft and 10 major instruments conducting planetary, Earth science, and space-based astronomy missions.Parsons is a technology-driven engineering services firm with more than 70 years of experience in the engineering, construction, technical, and professional services industries. The corporation is a leader in many diversified markets with a focus on infrastructure, defense, security, and construction. Parsons delivers design/design-build, program/construction management, systems design/engineering, cyber/converged security, and other professional services packaged in innovative alternative delivery methods to federal, regional, and local government agencies, as well as to private industrial customers worldwide. For more about Parsons, please visit www.parsons.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Name (required) Mail (required) (not be published) Website Make a comment Business News First Heatwave Expected Next Week Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Top of the News Subscribe 10 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Herbeauty7 Most Startling Movie Moments We Didn’t Realize Were InsensitiveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty8 Easy Exotic Meals Anyone Can MakeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty11 Signs Your Perfectionism Has Gotten Out Of ControlHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyRobert Irwin Recreates His Father’s Iconic PhotosHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyKate Beckinsale Was Shamed For Being “Too Old” To Wear A BikiniHerbeautyHerbeauty Community News Community News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS
Batesville, In. — Tryouts for the summer production of Peter Pan by the RAA are scheduled for Thursday, April 19 from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. and 6 to 8:30 p.m. and Saturday, April 21 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Batesville High School Choir Room.The production includes speaking, non-speaking and singing roles for 40 characters from ages 8-years-old to adult. For more information please call 812-933-0335.For more a link to an audition application and character descriptions look online here.