Official website’s inaccessibility raises questions about information transparency

first_img to go further News August 16, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Official website’s inaccessibility raises questions about information transparency Organisation RSF_en May 5, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Russia June 2, 2021 Find out more RussiaEurope – Central Asia News Two Russian journalists persecuted for investigating police corruptioncenter_img News Help by sharing this information RussiaEurope – Central Asia Receive email alerts Listed as a “foreign agent”, Russia’s most popular independent website risks disappearing Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown May 21, 2021 Find out more News The website of the Russian Centre for the Protection of Forests, also known as Roslesozashchita (, has been inaccessible since 13 August, shortly after it contradicted the government by reporting that forest fires had reached areas that were contaminated by radiation during the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.Roslesozashchita, an agriculture ministry offshoot, reported last week that there were fires on around 4,000 hectares of land that were contaminated, including 300 hectares in the Bryansk areas, which is very close to Chernobyl.The reports posted on the agency’s website contradicted the government’s reassuring comments. The ministry of emergencies insisted that the forest fires sweeping much of the region had not reached any of the areas affected by Chernobyl. Shortly before the site went down on 13 August, emergencies minister Sergei Shoigu criticised “unclear information from an unclear website.”The website’s inaccessibility is highly suspect. Reporters Without Borders wonders whether the Russian authorities simply blocked access because the information it was posting was proving to be very embarrassing.Greenpeace Russia has meanwhile said that the current level of radioactivity poses no health risk.last_img read more

Sister of victim in 1973 cold case murder speaks out after suspect arrested through DNA: ‘I’ve been praying for him’

first_imgNewport Beach Police(NEW YORK) — The sister of a little girl who was strangled to death in 1973 didn’t expect to see a conclusion to the mysterious cold case, she told ABC News hours after a man’s arrest was announced on Wednesday.“I never really thought that they would actually ever find the individual responsible,” Cindy Borgeson, a sister of Linda O’Keefe, told ABC News. “After all this time, finding out there is a face and a name…just brings additional closure.”O’Keefe, 11, was abducted on July 6, 1973, as she walked home from summer school, the Newport Beach, California, Police Department said. Her strangled body was found the next day.Their mother “carried that guilt the rest of her life,” Borgeson said.James Neal, 72, who lived in Southern California and worked in construction in the 1970s, was arrested this week in Colorado, where he had been living, Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said at a Wednesday news conference.DNA recovered from O’Keefe shortly after her death was put into the Combined DNA Index System — the law enforcement database known as CODIS — but there was no hit, said Spitzer.However, through the genealogical data of his family members, who voluntarily submitted their DNA to genealogy databases, investigators were able to corroborate the DNA from O’Keefe’s body and the DNA obtained from the suspect, according to Spitzer. The genealogical hit came in January, officials said.“I had closure when they found her body,” Borgeson said about the fateful day 46 years ago. But she added that she was thankful for the “additional closure” brought to her by the investigators who never gave up, as well as the new technology, which made it possible to process the crime scene DNA.“I’m astonished at what they were able to accomplish,” Borgeson, 64, said. “My hope is that this [case] brings hope to other families who haven’t had closure yet.”O’Keefe, who was seven years younger than Borgeson, was “an old soul” with a “go with the flow” personality, Borgeson said.While their parents did not live to see an arrest, Borgeson said, “I’m sure she [O’Keefe] and my parents are rejoicing.”“I’ll get to be with them again,” she added.As for her sister’s suspected killer, Borgeson said, “because of my profound faith, I’ve been able to forgive the individual.”“I couldn’t carry that burden in my heart of hating an individual even though he committed this horrible crime,” she said. “I hope that he has remorse.”Borgeson said, if she gets a chance to speak to Neal, she would “let him know that I’ve been praying for him.”Borgeson said she also prayed for Neal’s family as his arrest was announced.“They probably are so shocked,” she said. “I’m sure they’re going through a lot of grieving of their own.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more