Congo’s deadliest Ebola outbreak declared over

first_imgThe World Health Organization (WHO) said the end of the outbreak in the east, where insecurity is also endemic, was a cause for celebration as it had been a tough and often dangerous two years for those involved in fighting it. No new cases of the disease have been reported in the north-east of the country, where dozens of armed groups operate, since April 27. However, Congo, which is the size of mainland western Europe, is dealing a fresh Ebola outbreak in the north-west of the country. Some 2,280 people died since the outbreak began in August 2018. The second-worst outbreak of Ebola in history in Democratic Republic of Congo has officially been declared over, almost two years after it began. The case in Mbandaka was announced on June 1 where 13 people have since died. Genetic analysis shows it is a different strain of the virus to that found in the east. The WHO in Congo has told the BBC the situation in Mbandaka – the country’s 11th outbreak – is nearly under control. (BBC) The deadliest outbreak on record was in West Africa between 2014 and 2016 with more than 11,000 deaths. Ebola responders carry the body of an 11-year-old girl on May 8, 2019, who died after being admitted to an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo. THE NEW YORK TIMESlast_img read more