John Isner beats Mischa Zverev to reach Atlanta Open semi-finals

first_imgJohn Isner defeated Germany’s Mischa Zverev 7-5, 4-6, 6-1 in the quarter-finals on Friday to reach the BB&T Atlanta Open semi-finals for the ninth straight year.”He is a tough player. I played well today. I needed to,” Isner said. “It was a weird match. The balls were bouncing everywhere, it was tough to control. I was happy to get through in three sets.”Seeking his fifth victory at Atlantic Station in the last six years, the top-seeded Isner set up a match against fourth-seeded Matthew Ebden of Australia. Ebden beat Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus 6-3, 6-2.The 33-year-old Isner lost only two first-serve points against the seventh-seeded Zverev, won all but three of his service points in the third set and broke twice.Isner improved to 29-4 in the event, winning his second match after a 6-hour, 36-minute loss – with a 26-25 fifth set – to Kevin Anderson in the Wimbledon semifinals. The 6-foot-10 former University of Georgia star won the Miami Open in April for his 13th ATP Tour title.Isner is 7-1 in the semifinals, with the lone loss coming to Andy Roddick in 2012. Isner’s only other losses in the event came in the finals, to Mardi Fish in 2010 and 2011 and Nick Kyrgios in 2016. Isner won titles in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017.The 30-year-old Ebden is chasing his first ATP World Tour title. He’s 1-3 against Isner, winning in January in the Australian Open.”I am definitely playing better than I was in the beginning of the year. I was struggling a little bit,” Isner said. “To his credit, he played much better than me that day in Australia. He had the home crowd on his side. It helps a lot. Now, I’m playing in my backyard and he beat me in his backyard. We’ll see if I can turn the tide.”advertisementThey also met last year in the Hall of Fame Open final, with Isner winning in straight sets.Eighth-seeded Ryan Harrison also advanced, beating South Korea’s Chung Hyeon 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-6 (5).”This is exactly what the doctor ordered for me,” said Harrison, the runner-up last year. “It was a little nervy from both of us there at the end.”Harrison will face Cameron Norrie of Britain. Norrie led the second-seeded Kyrgios 7-5, 6-3 when the Australian retired.(With inputs from AP)last_img read more

Former TCI Chief Minister gets unanimous support as new Deputy Speaker

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, August 2, 2017 – Providenciales – Former Chief Minister and longest serving TCI Parliamentarian, Hon Derek Taylor was last Wednesday, July 26, named the new Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly.   Following the shake up in the PDM Administration, where Hon Josephine Connolly was replaced by Hon Karen Malcolm as the Minister of Education, Youth, Sports and Library Services there was a hole created and questions arose about who would be the new deputy speaker; a post Malcolm had previously held.With nomination by the Premier, second by the Deputy Premier and unanimous support by members of the House, Hon Taylor took the job, the first time he functions in this capacity in 24 years and seven terms in Parliament.   Today, Hon Taylor shared with Magnetic Media that he counts it an opportunity to work with the Speaker on the House of Assembly library and to interact with regional Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, CPA and the CPA as a whole.”While there was no division on or objection to the nomination vote, which was taken a week ago today, the Opposition PNP side was silent and gave no ‘aye’ or ‘nay’ in the move to make Derek Taylor the new Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly.Hon Taylor, who chaired the inaugural budget session of the new PDM Government and who is considered the ‘grandfather of the House of Assembly’ added that he is excited about working with the youth of the TCI in the Youth Parliament.#MagneticMediaNews#Hon.DerekTaylor#TCIgetsnewDeputySpeaker Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Texas Wages Campaign to Preserve Its Installations

first_imgTexas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) is counting on a pool of $30 million approved by the Legislature earlier this year to prevent the loss of any of the state’s 15 installations in a future BRAC round as well as strengthen some by attracting new missions.The governor’s Texas Military Preparedness Commission meets next month to review grant applications from communities, which can collect up to $5 million each over the state’s 2016-17 fiscal biennium. Grants are capped at $2.5 million yearly.“We have so much to offer as a state in the context of national security that you can’t duplicate,” Commission Chairman Paul Paine told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The installations in Texas all have very high national security value,” said Paine, a former commander at Naval Air Station (NAS) Fort Worth.The host communities for NAS Fort Worth, a joint reserve base that grew out of the closure of Carswell Air Force Base, hope to secure $4.5 million to improve access into the facility’s east gate.“We want to be prepared if there is” another BRAC round, said Fort Worth Councilman Jungus Jordan, president of the Texas Mayors of Military Communities, the main group that persuaded state lawmakers to allocate the grant money.“We don’t have Fort in front of our name by accident. We’re a military town. We will always be a military town,” Jordan said.Leaders in the state’s other defense communities also are positioning neighboring installations for a new round of base closures. “It’s not a matter of if another BRAC will happen; it is when,” said Bob Murdock, director of San Antonio’s Office of Military Affairs.Nevertheless, the state’s installations should fare well in a future round, according to defense analyst Loren Thompson, CEO at the nonprofit Lexington Institute.“Texas doesn’t have a lot to fear from base closures,” Thompson told the Star-Telegram. “Nobody is going to close a place like Fort Hood or the Army depot in Corpus Christi.” Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more