Share LocalNews First trial of January Assizes begins by: – February 13, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Tweet 22 Views no discussions Share The first trial of the January Criminal Assizes has begun at the High Court of Justice in Roseau.Kenrick Tyson has been charged with causing the death of Cecil James between 9th to the 10th of May, 2009 at Concord and was not allowed to plead as murder is an indictable offence.On Monday, a nine member jury was impaneled comprising of two males and seven women were instructed by both Justice Stephenson Brooks and Director of Public Prosecutions Gene Pestaina.One witness has already testified and the matter has been adjourned to Tuesday morning.Meanwhile 5 matters on the January Criminal Assizes Cause List have been traversed to the May Criminal Assizes.Justice Bernie Stephenson Brookes explained in Court on Monday that based on the number of trials which had already been fixed for this assizes these 5 cases had to be traversed.In the matter of the State vs Clive Edwards for kidnapping and assault on Leston James on 9th August, 2008 at Canefield, that matter will be heard when the May Assizes gets underway.The trial involving Steven Wyke for the theft of items worth EC$18, 245.00 from the home of Patrick Simeon of Sultan, St. Joseph including; 1 Plasma Television, 1 mobile telephone charger, 1 pair of handcuffs, 1 wireless modem, 1 Sebago Dogside, 1 black Nike Air Max sneaker, 1 bullet proof vest, 1 satellite remote control, 1 red tool box kit with tools, 1 gold chain and 1 gold earring among others, that has also been traversed to the May Assizes.The trial involving Dean Davis for the murder of Ashton Gibbs has been traversed to the May Assizes as well as the trial involving Clement Labassiere for the murder of Ambrose LeBlanc of Vieille Case and Jackie Languedoc for the murder of Gerald Dover Junior on the 29th of October, 2008. The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions also filed Notices of Discontinuance in respect to Robert Ross Bellot, Kironie Sandy, Chris Thomas and Sammie Harve.Justice Stephenson Brooks admonished Kironie Sandy, Chris Thomas and Sammy Harve to “go out there and find a J-O-B, get yourselves occupied”.She further cautioned them to do all within their power to remain out of trouble.“This is Carnival time, you’ve been in trouble before and this means that the police has an eye on you therefore, I’m advising you to keep a low profile. If it means staying home and listening to the activities on the radio do that. Keep a low profile and behave yourselves.”In related news; the trial involving Albert Stevens Junior has been adjourned to the 12th of March, 2012 and the trial involving Stebin Valentine has been adjourned to the 23rd of February, 2012.Dominica Vibes News
Mugshot of drug suspect Kenneth Jacosalem who was arrested in an entrapment operation in Barangay Taculing, Bacolod City on Jan. 10. POLICE STATION 3/BCPO Bacolod City – Suspected shabu weighing about 1.2 kilograms valued aroundP18.08 million was seized in a buy-bust operation in Barangay Taculing. Meanwhile, Lieutenant Colonel ArielPico, spokesperson of the Bacolod City Police Office, said this was the biggestaccomplishment so far on the police station level. Pico denied the presence of ‘shabu’laboratory in the city. The 27-year-old “high-value” suspectKenneth Jacosalem yielded the suspected illegal drugs, said Major Ruel Culanag,station commander of Police Station 3. He said the large haul can beattributed to the upcoming festivals in Negros Occidental./PN The suspect was detained and chargedwith violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Actof 2002. Jacosalem sold a sachet of suspectedshabu to an undercover officer for P1,000 around 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 10. He triedto evade arrest but failed when police officers caught him around 5:45 a.m.,Culanag added.