He added: “It must have come from the hotel because we had an all-in package deal and the only food I’d eaten was in the hotel.”Mr Hawkins said the holiday cost around £2,500 and Thomas Cook agreed to pay him £2,000 compensation after negotiations.A Thomas Cook spokeswoman said Mr Hawkins had been compensated after returning home. She said: “The safety and well-being of our customers is always our first priority and we would never send customers to a hotel which we do not believe to be safe.” Lawyers told the Telegraph that two of the evacuated guests say they have shigella – a bacterial infection and common cause of food poisoning which leads to around 700,000 deaths a year, mostly in the developing world.”I became exceptionally ill early on the holiday last year,” Mr Hawkins, a warehouse manager from Witham, Essex, said.”It ruined my holiday. Luckily we were only staying for seven nights or I think I would have ended up in hospital in Egypt. When I got back my doctor diagnosed salmonella.” A holidaymaker who contracted salmonella at the same Egyptian hotel where a British couple died won a compensation payout from Thomas Cook, it emerged on Sunday.Nick Hawkins, 51, said the illness had “ruined” his holiday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada in June last year.He says he became ill a few days into a seven-night family holiday at the hotel, and that the travel giant paid him £2,000 following his diagnosis from a doctor.It comes after John and Susan Cooper, who were both in their 60s and from Burnley, Lancashire, died on August 21 this year while staying at the hotel.Thomas Cook moved 300 guests out of the hotel within 24 hours after the couple died as a precaution. The travel firm admitted paying out to Mr HawkinsCredit:PAUL ELLIS/AFP Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.